Featured Article What is the Universe made of? 96% is still a mystery. Stephanie Pappas, a science writer for LiveScience.com, quotes Thomas Koffas, a particle physicist at Canada's Carleton University, as saying: "So far, physicists can only account for 4 percent of what the universe is made of. The remaining 96 percent, we have no idea." And yet, most western scientists ridicule anyone who believes that energy fields are more fundamental than material particles. Go figure.